Monday, November 23, 2009

LOVE SERVED

Saturday was an interesting experience for the 15 or so people that stepped out into the neighborhood to show our neighbors that we care and we're there. The CHURCH HAS LEFT THE BUILDING initiative started off with minimal expectations I think. We set out to rake leaves from the yards of about 40 to 50 homes near our church. Three teams of about 5 people per team went out with rakes, bags, and brooms in hand.

I haven't even raked my own yard yet - thanks to Sherin for doing that! =)

I'll be honest in that I expected a little more resistance, but to all of our surprise, no one turned us away but welcomed our act of service for them. Some of us received cold drinks from the neighbors, some were offered pancakes, etc...

Our team helped two guys cleaning up their yard and hopefully was able to make a lasting connection with them. James and Gino taught us a purpose for bagging the leaves - you can use it to surround and "insulate" a fig tree during the winter season. I'll use that one for our fig tree.

I dont think any of us will forget that day and the people we met. Our prayer is that they saw the love of Christ through service for them. Just as Christ came to serve, the church is here to serve the people. Let's serve them what they need - LOVE!

Enjoy The Ride,

Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment