Monday, March 26, 2012

Practice of Ministry

As a shepherd-leader it is crucial that I appropriate a biblical framework (Ephesians 6:10-20). I must have a sense of purpose, a workable plan, a commitment to prayer, and consistency of participation. The key part is to find the balance with Spirit and form between organization and inspiration. A vision and mission statement for the individual, family, and church is helpful in staying focused.

The minister needs to assume a stance of leadership within the Biblical context as outlined in 1 Peter 5:1 and Romans 12:8. I must be an example for the people entrusted to me and remain diligent in the work of the Lord. There are various styles of leadership and different situations might require different styles. For the most part I believe my style is a hybrid of the consultative and participative styles. I want to be able to make the people around me better and help them get to the next level in the Lord and in ministry.

My style is not to micro-manage but to cast the vision for the church and motivate and encourage leadership team and congregation to be the agents of advancing the vision. At the same time, everyone is accountable to each other and God for the work entrusted with them. Time is passing us by and we need to be productive in doing His work. That does not mean failure is not accepted because I rather have people on my team that is willing to try and fail and learn from the experience than people who are not willing to try at all. In a new environment, I might need to be more directive and show people what to do or how to do it, but as time passes I would ideally back off and let them do the work while I provide guidance and encouragement. Having a high-performance team with a common purpose, appropriate roles, accepted leadership, effective plans and methodologies, solid relationships, and excellent communication is imperative for a minister to realize the God-given vision for the church.

Activating fellowship is another activity the minister needs to accomplish to fulfill the meaning of ministry. Jesus gave the perfect example in Matthew 16:24-28. As a minister, I need to identify and enlist people into ministry, motivate people to share the good news, educate people through teaching the Word of God, and call lives for dedication to God.

A minister needs to accent ministry priorities by gearing things toward evangelism, discipleship, and worship. I need to facilitate personal spiritual growth by reaching people for Christ, nurturing them into a deeper relationship with God, and involving them in ministry. I need to accent the ministry priorities predicated on the centrality of worship services, developed through therapeutic preaching, and a staff attitude of humility and servant hood.

As a minister I need to aspire to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ. It exists to influence people with the intention to move people from lower to higher planes. The test of the proclamation is the changes that occur in the lives of people.

Enjoy The Ride,

Cee

No comments:

Post a Comment