Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What Ministry Means to Me?

The ultimate reason for ministry is the creator – God. He created us to worship Him which is a ministry on its own. Extending ministry into this world is driven by the commandment clearly laid out for His children in the Gospel of Matthew chapter 28. We as disciples of Jesus Christ have the power, responsibility, and authority to step out into our world and share the good news of Jesus Christ. Ministry is being a disciple of Jesus Christ and becoming a “discipler” for Jesus Christ.

The two constants in this formula of ministry are God and people. Some of the variables in this formula could be derived from the various spiritual gifts God invests in His children, levels of commitment to service, and locale or community to serve.

I believe being in the ministry for God is being a servant-leader. In my upward relationship with God, I am a servant to His calling and direction while being a leader in the work of expanding and building up His Kingdom – one life at a time. Simultaneously, in my inward relationship with His people, I am there to serve (minister) to the needs of the people while leading and encouraging them into a deeper spiritual life with Jesus Christ. In my outward relationship with the world, I am here to serve the dying generation the message of eternal life through Jesus Christ while leading them through an exemplary lifestyle of integrity and holiness in God.

As prescribed in Ephesians 4:11 through 16, as a leader I have the responsibility to prepare people to do the work of ministry in the context of the local church and equip the body of Christ to do the work of the ministry in the world. Throughout the Scriptures the characteristics of a minister are outlined for study and practical application.

A minister is a leader who is a disciple. As a disciple I have to possess a concern for the lost (Psalms 126:5-6) and study the scriptures consistently and persistently and trust it to be a power source. The Holy Spirit should be the pilot of my daily walk in this world (Romans 8:14-16).

A minister is a shepherd-leader who is a concerned caretaker (Matthew 18:12-13), an experienced modeler, productive mentor, disciplined director, and exemplary administrator (1 Timothy 3:5). In such a role, I need to be consistent in faith, love, and endurance and be reminded that I have been divinely called (Hebrews 3:1). The divine call compels me to function out of necessity to fulfill the mandate on my life for Him.

A minister is a leader who is an agent of spiritual change (Acts 2:40-47). In ministry I need to change those around me by being kind, honoring others above themselves (humility), accepting each person as important (Romans 12:15-16a), serving in love, carrying another’s burdens, accepting others for who they are (Romans 15:7), and demonstrating forgiveness.

Enjoy The Ride,

Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment